Accommodation is in a modern apartment in Arenas, in the aptly named ‘Calle de la Fuente’ (which means source or spring in Spanish). It comprises a bedroom, study, and ensuite bathroom (with 10Mb wireless internet) on the second floor of a duplex.
The first floor is my own workspace, which I share with my wife Bea and Jorge Alvarez, an event producer.
Food for body, mind and soul is an integral part of Parenthesis, so meals matter. There are a range of culinary possibilities, including everything from One Star Michelin Restaurant ‘Val de Palacios’ (45 mins drive away) to picnics by a mountain stream.
However, we have found that it works best to have much of the food laid on. Fidel Alarcon, a local cook and a wonderful character, prepares fabulous food specially for us. Food like…..
- Spinach salad with lentils, grated carrot, soused quail and tuna steaks.
- Roast duck breast with oriental lime sauce and toasted sesame on a bed of japanese seaweed and bean sprouts
- Langoustine in Thai coconut curry sauce with lemongrass and ginger
- Roast beef carpaccio with capers and parmesan
- Japanese style toasted salmon with sake teriyaki sauce
- Moroccan style roast lamb tajine with apricots, dates, carrot, pumpkin and quince